Phenol is a core product for HELM and is distributed within North America and South America to a wide range of customers, mainly going into chemical intermediates such as agricultural products, phenolic resins or being used as an additive in lube oils.
Phenol is largely produced by the oxidation of benzene. It is a “Class 6.1” chemical as determined by the National Regulatory Commission CFR guidelines, meaning that it is a poison and is highly corrosive. Phenol requires very specific storage and handling procedures to insure safety of people where accidental contact could be made.
Examples of applications
- Production of phenolic resins
- Production of bisphenol-A (BPA)
- Production of caprolactam
- Production of alkyl phenols
- Production of adipic acid
- Bulk in ocean vessels and barges
- Bulk in rail tank cars
- Bulk in road tank trucks
- Bulk in isotank containers
Other packaging solutions possible by agreement.